18 Things To Know Before Dating A British GuyThursday, September 25, 2014 Category: Regular Episodes
1. Yes, everything does sound better in a English accent. Their pronunciation of the word ‘darling’ is totally swoon-worthy, you will definitely will want to get an UK Spouse Visa right away.
2. There will be some verbal miscommunication and it will be hilarious. Because, seriously, who knew that pants means underwear across the pond?
3. You’ll want to steal all of his jumpers (sweaters). I don’t know if British guys have more sweaters than most American guys or what the deal is. All I know is that they seem to have an abundance of soft, over-sized sweaters that you’ll want to keep forever.
4. English Pubs take day-drinking to a whole new level. Not to mention the drinking age is 18 over there so they’ve been at it much longer than you have.
5. British politeness is not just a stereotype. They could bump into a tree and will still quickly apologize.
6. Admittedly weird American things such as a carousel in the mall will seem completely alien to them. “I don’t understand it. It’s like having a driving range at the dentist office.”
7. Also, very normal American things will be fascinating to them. Be prepared to stop and look at parking meters for close to 10 minutes. THEY’RE JUST PARKING METERS CAN WE PLEASE MOVE ON?
8. It’s not all sunshine and roses. Kim Quidlan put it best in her Thought Catalog article 7 Overlooked Benefits of Being in a Long-Distance Relationship when she stated, “You spend so much time talking. So. Much. Time. You miss them all day, all the time. It’s like a dull ache that you can actually feel physically.”
9. You should probably brush up on your knowledge of American sports. Good luck explaining football to your confused boyfriend when you barely know what’s going on yourself.
10. You will learn to love Skype dates. Watching a movie together on Skype can even be almost as good as the real thing!
11. Tea will always be their first love. I kid you not, it is treated as a religion over there. Eight cups of tea a day isn’t seen as a problem.
12. You’re going to hear, “You’re soooo lucky you have a British boyfriend,” from everyone you meet. And although you may feel incredibly lucky to have an amazing boyfriend, living on different continents is not all it’s cracked up to be.
13. Dealing with the time difference won’t be as bad as you think. You’ll memorize the exact number of hours they are ahead of you. It’s especially easy if you happen to be dating an insomniac.
14. Hearing them pronounce words will be forever entertaining. A few of the best are squirrel, mocha, aluminum, and strawberry. You will not be disappointed.
15. They do not find your attempt at a British accent as cute and endearing as you may think. Because in reality you sound like a chimney sweep right out of Mary Poppins. However, that won’t stop you from slowly incorporating some of their slang into your everyday vocabulary. After a few months you might even be calling your friends your mates and complaining about the annoying adverts on television.
16. There will be endless conversation because you both grew up in different cultures. Your eyes will be opened to a whole new array of TV shows, music, and books!
17. PDA is basically out of the question due to their British politeness. So if you want more than just a peck on the cheek in public than you may want to look elsewhere for a boyfriend.
18. British charm is real and awesome.